Red lips return (again)
It seems this trend, the strong red lip, isn’t going out of style any time soon. Angelia Jolie wore the look well in the film Changeling. And just this week designers like Jason Wu and Luca Luca have also chosen bold red-toned lips for their NY Fashion week Autumn/Winter 09 collections.
Off the runway and into real life, pulling off red lips (or any bold lip colour) is a combination of:
- Choosing the right shade – refer to my previous entry on lipstick tones HERE.
- Precision application – see below.
- Simplicity with the rest of your makeup – let your lips be the focus.
So if you’ve shied away from red lips until now, here are some application tips for applying it well and so that it lasts for several hours.
- Line and fill your lips with a lip liner that is a similar tone to your lipstick.
- Using a lip brush, apply a coat of lipstick starting from the centre of your mouth and working outwards.
- Separate a tissue and blot your lips.
- Using your fingertips, pat a small amount of translucent powder onto your lips.
- Apply a second coat of lipstick with your lip brush.
- For a matte finish, blot your lips with a tissue again.
- Choosing your event – skip the red lips at a 10 course degustation!